Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Monday, April 14, 2014

Count Downs

Well I'm sure you all have heard the news, as word travels fast these days, BUT in case you live under a rock with small pigmy-puffs stuffed in your ears then GUESS WHO WILL BE IN KOREA IN JULY!?

That's right, the twins will be taking over Seoul (and a variety of other cities in this lovely country) for my summer vacation! I can hardly contain myself. No, I didn't put a daily countdown on my work calendar...don't look at me like that...

The planning starts now. I hope to show her all of the wonderfullness that is the "Land of morning calm" so that she can leave knowing where I've been for the past year and a half. I can't wait to share it all with her <3

Until then, Korea is starting to feel like spring. The cherry blossoms are slowly fading away leaving behind lush green trees in their wake. Just having the sun out and not needing to wear a small family's-worth of clothing in order to stop shivering is great. I've been taking advantage of the nice weather by doing some new adventures around Seoul the past few weeks. (this is me not acknowledging the fact that I haven't updated this in those past few weeks...)

One of these new experiences is a tango club in Hongdae. Tarah and I weren't sure what to expect as we walked down into the basement of a neon-sign-covered building to watch a friend practice her new dancing hobby. Walking through the door we were greeted by a significantly large dancing floor where eight or nine couples circled around with arms poised and legs swinging. Now, I don't know about you, but when I think of tango, I think of a rather risque, very sexy dance. When I think of Korea....risque and sexy are two words that do not immediately come to mind. The dancers attending this club, however proved me wrong. I was enthralled watching. I drew the line when I was asked to dance. Watching was definitely more comfortable for me. Tarah on the other hand, who has had some experience with the moves, was up and twirling around the room with some nice Korean men who helped her regain her memory of the steps.
Now I can say I have seen Koreans, young and old, tangoing (I looked it up, it's a word). How many of you can say that?

My next trip was right down the road with some of the coworkers. As the cherry blossoms swept through Bucheon, I longed to see them at a park nearby Bucheon Stadium. Along with Liz, Alex, Grace, and Jennifer, I was able to view the blossoms at night, which proves to be very different from seeing them in the sunlight. The trees in this park tower over the path and seem to be weighed down by the number of flowers exploding over the branches. With lots of "oohs" and "aahs" we wandered along the path under the awning of blossoms. I wasn't sure if it was just me, but seeing trees like this gives me the urge to shake the tree and see what happens. I was nice to the people who would come to the park after us, however, and resisted that desire...you're welcome people of Bucheon.

 





 








Cherry blossom festivals in Korea is code-word for "selfie-opportunity". Especially at Yeouido park (by the river) selfies run rampant under the "blossom rain" and flower covered trees. Just add couples wearing matching outfits and over-sized-lenseless glasses and you've got half the 20 year-olds in Korea! I poke fun, but I really enjoy people watching here. It's one of my favorite sports, and I have to say it's one of the best places for it. Yesterday, I saw a guy wearing a lion onesy getting on the subway. He wasn't with a group of friends laughing like it was a joke. He was wearing a lion onesy like it was completely normal and part of an everyday routine. I wanted to become friends, but I was intimidated by his lion-like confidence.

Onto the next trip. I was able to cross a huge thing off my "Do in Korea Before I Leave" List (everyone has one). Dan and I joined crowd of Koreans to enjoy the city from the perspective of the Han as opposed to staring up at the towering buildings from subway exits. As we boarded, I noticed the Koreans around us were coming prepared with snacks like we were going to be stuck on this boat for forever. Made me think they knew something I didn't. Luckily enough, we wouldn't become stranded on the ship. The snacks were actually for the huge flock of seagulls (han-gulls HAH) that trailed the boat for their hourly meal. People threw the processed, sugary snacks overboard hoping a seagull would fly close enough to touch. Some of them getting dangerously close, I was thinking about the effects this diet must have on the birds. Can't be good.


Overlooking obese water-fowl, the trip itself was quite relaxing. A bit chilly in the wind on the way down to the turning point, but once we found the small area behind the boat on the way back we could enjoy the scenery without my hair attacking innocent bystanders. The Han and the area on the coast really are really beautiful. The city has seen so much growth and change. I'm so glad I can say I've lived here.

_____________________________________________________________

Jumping ahead- the past two weekends I've started going to a bootcamp run by a friend here who is getting his trainer certification. Entitled "Get Made Korea", Ian sets up a deadly circuit of equipment and weights hoping by the end you're laying on the ground trying to get as much air in your lungs as possible (am I exaggerating?....I'm just glad there aren't any photos of the aftermath). This past weekend, Vanessa and I headed there and actually recruited some of her friends from the neighboring yoga meet-up who were just finishing their session as ours began.
You know it's hard when the pushups are the easiest station






I really enjoy this style of group exercise. Maybe it's a bit of a competitive nature, but I push myself better with others. That's why Kaitie and I got in such better shape together, because we held each other accountable to go all out. Any of you in Korea (or not-- I don't know how badly you want it) who want to come join me, please let me know!

After the brutal workout Saturday and a shower it was right back out to Seoul to meet for Lucy's birthday celebration. Surrounded by beautiful, adventurous, and caring gals, we spent the evening swapping stories and planning for future trips together over endless wine at Ashley's Buffet. I can't even explain how much I appreciate the cherish the friendship I have with these girls. While we are all busy with teaching and other responsibilities, whenever we get together we have a blast and I know I've made some life-long connections <3

Birthday girl
"3-1" (Lucy's age)


After dinner we made the mass exodus (to the relief of the buffet staff) to Hongdae for an evening of celebration. Thus started aimless wandering, unsure of where to go, waiting to meet up with friends, and at some point being denied entrance to two places. Yep- we wanted to go to a themed bar (a pharmacy-themed bar at that) and we were welcomed by this sign at the door.


 A bit taken-aback, we had Lucy (aka a Korean) go in and ask about it. We wanted to explain that it was a birthday and we there were only girls in the group (sorry boys...you cause trouble haha). The owners explained that last week a foreigner had made a scene and I suppose gotten into some confrontation there leading them to the decision to not serve us anymore...I wasn't too upset about not being able to go to that bar, but the automatic grouping of all foreigners as trouble-makers was a bit off putting. I know that happens everywhere for all races and ethnicities, so it shouldn't be too surprising. Put a bit of a damper on the evening. We corralled each other and headed to the next place, again finding that they wouldn't let us in because our group was too large. It was at this point in the evening that I decided to call it quits. Not only was I tired, but I also had bootcamp the next day. Wishing more happy birthdays and goodbyes I headed back to Bucheon.

Yesterday after a less-intense bootcamp workout (to the relief of my body) I met with an "old friend" Brent in Hapjeong for some exploration. For those of you who haven't wandered around that area (not under the influence of alcohol) there are some neat places to check out! The bars and restaurants range from super-hero-themed to "America Smell", which was actually where we decided to grab dinner. We hoped it was a reflection on how awesome American food smells as opposed to the people...The owner was welcoming and friendly and overall the meal was delicious. I can't wait to get back out there to wander around the side streets, hopefully running into yet another awesome cafe or restaurant. Makes me realize just how much more I have to see before I leave!

Can't start counting down to THAT date yet, however. Much more exciting things ahead before that happens! ^^

Busy weeks of Easter Parties, Wine Trains, and Bootcamps ahead I promise I won't leave you all hanging before the next post- although I'm surprised you all have stuck through a year and a half of this! You all should pat yourselves on the back for that feat of patience and cute-kid-overload!

Until next time xoxo

Korean of the post:
"사자는 내 지하철의 카드를 훔쳐"
(sajaneun nae jihasheolwei kadeuleul humchyeo)
"The lion stole my subway card"


No comments:

Post a Comment