Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Vanilla, Elsa, and Hero Teacher

And the changes have begun. Last week Kaitie and I became roomies for a few days while she was in limbo between moving out of her apartment and leaving for her epic adventure. We spent the majority of those days in a silent agreement to not discuss the imminent future. We did this mainly by watching the Oscars while simultaneously stuffing our faces with pancakes. It's hard to talk about the future when your mouth is full and also laughing at Ellen. With only a few teary moments, we survived the few days and I sent her off on the subway early in the morning for her to start her Southeast Asia journey. Old teachers leaving means new teachers coming, in the land of teaching in Korea. Two new girls, Vanessa and Elizabeth survived the first week of observing and getting a fire-hose of information turned on them. This is where I come in. This year I have been given a new title at Little America. Now, whether this was due to a lower number of kindergarten classes this year or if they really needed someone to do this job, I'm not sure. Either way, I am now Head Foreign Teacher, which means it's my job to manage the other foreign teachers with regards to kindergarten and overall preparation for the newbies. When I heard about this position at first I was a bit bummed about not having a kindergarten class but then a lot of positive outcomes popped into my head.

1. No more open classes...I know...that one hit me hard
2. No more stressing about students memorizing things and testing
3. I get to know 3 whole classes of kids instead of focusing on only one!

I have to break it to you all though, you will not be getting as many cute pictures of kids and monthly song videos....but I feel like you all are getting tired of those anyways, so maybe that's another positive to add to the list.

Anyways- back to the job. Before the end of this year, some of the foreign teachers and I discussed the importance of having a head foreign teacher to help others and keep communication open during times of transition as well as throughout the year. Having two new teachers come in at the same time as a new supervisor, Hera Teacher, means a lot of instability and misunderstandings at first. We are all still trying to figure out what is expected of us from our bosses and what is the best for our students. To add to this complexity going on in the teachers' room, we have two new classes of kindergarten students beginning their first year of English. Imagine not having any teaching experience and being thrown into a classroom of 5-6 year-olds who are convinced you are fluent in Korean and just pretending to not understand them as they tell you intricate details about their inner thoughts.

Not having any experience with the brand new English learners as all of my kindergarten classes have been in their second or third year of English, I'm trying my best to help out the new teachers and give them advice about behavior and classroom management as well as keep them informed of what is expected of them in regards to our school. A bit of a daunting task, I'm learning a lot about this leadership position and I hope I can make a positive change on our school's program and new teacher training. I think what I'm honestly most excited about is my responsibility to plan cooking classes for the kinders this year! Pinterest has been my life saver...So instead of cute kids dancing you will get failed pinterest pictures, hope it helps ease the pain!

Before I get to ahead of myself (which it appears I already have) I'll recap. The final week of the last semester, and the end of our school year, was filled with graduation practice. For which I was required to choreograph a dance number to "Lean on Me" for a group of 15 seven-year-olds.

The process of teaching the kids the schedule of the ceremony and where to stand, what to say, and how to say it is tedious to say the least. Long story short, they did an amazing job. I miss my little ones a lot, but I do get to give them hugggeee hugs in the afternoon when they come for class after their elementary school.  They seem to be happy and enjoying their new class. Here's a look at the ceremony without me jabbering away about it.

 "Go Little -merica" ('A' was late)

 

 

 




After saying "goodbyes" and "good lucks" we sent the new graduates off home with their parents and then got busy preparing for the new student orientation the next day. Cute little kids, some as young as 4, coming in to start their English learning career. As the students come into orientation they get an English name, if they don't already have one and skip off down the hallway to their new classroom to meet their classmates. Of course, in the 7-year-old classroom there is an "Ana" and an "Elsa". We all knew it was inevitable.

The teachers spend the morning entertaining the students with cooking classes, crafts, and playing in the gym, while the parents talk to Solomon teacher about what their child will do these next few years. Some of the students felt completely comfortable and chatted away like this was nothing new, while others felt like we were dragging them away from their mother who they would never see in their lives ever again. Overall, a successful orientation day, and the new teachers seemed really excited about their little ones!
I teach his brother :)

trouble maker- look at that grin

 

 

 

 


The week ended with the usual teacher dinner which is full of Korean barbeque, soju, and norebangs. I love these dinners even though it usually means a teacher is leaving us. In the case of this one, 3 teachers were saying goodbye, thus causing lots of tears whether we liked it or not.


Alex making us cry

 



Looking around at the dinner I was hopeful (and still am) about the future. I have 6 more months with these incredible people and hope to make the most of it. As the weather gets warmer, a lot of trips are being signed up for and plans are being made. Can't wait to keep myself busy as well as get homework done, update you on the blog, and maintain an appropriate fitness level. Man, I wish we had more hours in the day.

xoxo until next time

Korean Phrase of the Post: "아이들은 너무 빨리 성장"
(ahideuleun neomu balli seongjang)
"Kids grow up too fast"

No comments:

Post a Comment