Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunshine and Rainbows

We travel, initially, to lose ourselves; and we travel, next, to find ourselves.


 

Suppose I should announce the news officially. I have signed my renewed contract for another year at Little America in Bucheon! These past 10 months have been an incredible experience so far. I can't believe how quickly it has gone by! I've met amazing people and I know that I will continue to do so this next year. While I do miss my friends and family at home, of course, I am not ready to make my way back there just yet. Actually, tell you the truth I have no idea what I want. I have a lot of thinking to do over the next year. I will be starting my online grad school courses this upcoming fall, which I am looking forward to. Honestly, I truly believe that things happen for a reason. Some opportunity will come up that will lead me to my next adventure where ever that may be. As for now, I will be spending another year with the wonderful teachers and students in Little America! Guess that means all of you will just have to visit?

This week we had our monthly birthday party, so you know what that means! A video of my girls performing their song and dance. This month they are singing "Let's Get Together" from the original Parent Trap movie. Adorable as always they did an excellent job and had fun at the same time.
 Along with song performances from the classes during the birthday celebration, the students dance to Gangnam Style...every month...they never tire of it. This time I decided to document the pandemonium that is a room full of hyper kindergarteners jammin' out to Psy.


 That afternoon I took my girls on a mini-field trip to the Paras Baguette down the road for an ice cream treat. Not only do they just need to get outside, out of the fluorescent lights, but who doesn't love ice cream.

Not amused
Whatcha doin' silly goose?

Friday's are my longest days. I teach the most Kindergarten classes of the week and a full schedule of elementary classes. Needless to say, by the time the last class comes I am in need of my bed. As we were preparing for the last class, one of our kindergarten students, Edward, was sitting in the teacher's room. His mother owns the art school next door so he will often come spend time with us instead of being their with her. Grace teacher had bought him some french fries, so as he chomped away we chatted with him about how his day was etc. It was at this moment that my faith in humanity was restored. Kaitie Teacher was talking to Grace about one of her classes earlier that day in Indiana classroom. Edward chimed in and asked how many students she had in that class. We figured he was just curious to know the number compared to his kindergarten class, however once Kaitie informed him that there were 6 students in that class he began slowly counting out fries from his pile in front of him. The realization of what he was doing suddenly hit me. Now according to my child development class, as a 5 year old (western age) Edward is in the egocentric phase of psychological development. The standard kindergartener back home, once finding out the number of students in a class would not immediately think to share his or her french fries with them. Edward didn't even take a second to think about another option. Willing to part with a few fried potatoes, Edward The fact that this class had already come and gone for the day didn't even matter. After that I was completely rejuvenated and my last class flew by as I thought about the incredible kindness of children. Learn a lesson from Edward about the importance of not only thinking about yourself. There are always others around you who need love, care, and kindness.

Later that night Kaitie and I met with some friends to go to our first Korean dance club. I wont say much about this experience, as it doesn't really warrant too much explanation. In the end, the dancing was fun, but other than that I'd rather dance in my living room... I have to try everything once of course, so check that off the list. The next day was what I was really looking forward to anyways!

Saturday, The Korea Queer Culture Festival hosted a parade in Hongdae, near Hongik University. Katrina, Seol, Kaitie and I met several friends at the festival to wander around the booths, watch some musical performances, and support the LGBT community in Korea and all over the world really. There were several celebrities at the event as well as a crowd of hundreds on the main shopping street. The culture of Korea has changed so drastically in the past decades so there is an extremely wide generation gap. Therefore thoughts about homosexuality are incredibly diverse. I believe that the current younger generation will bring acceptance and openness with regards to the homosexual population. 




While the parade wasn't exactly the most well organized nor fanciest I've seen (such as the Buddha's Birthday parade) it did not matter. Everyone involved was so full of energy and enthusiasm at being able to show their true selves. The weather was great and I'm glad I cold celebrate with some good friends! After the parade ended we headed off to our friend Ryan's apartment to continue celebrations with a cookout on his roof. It was here I met his puppy Arrow, who is the sweetest, softest, most adorable puppy ever. No really though.
He was so excited that there was a group of new friends there to play with him. Ryan got him as a puppy (an actual puppy. I call all dogs puppies so I understand that there may be some confusion) so Arrow is incredibly attached to him. When we all left to go to the roof he barked and cried for Ryan to come get him. We did eventually bring him up. Who could deny him? He was just so gentle! While I could never get a dog while I am here, as it would be very difficult to keep him or her walked and entertained during my work day, I do wish I had one just to play with daily. I think dogs have a way of helping with stress and making you happy. Instead of eating chocolate, or drinking wine, just get a dog? Guess it will be doggy cafe visits for me instead. Though I will definitely be visiting Ryan more often now...

An early night for me, Sunday I woke up early to run through Lake Park again. The weather is beautiful, and while I still get stares as I run, it is just so nice to be outside instead of on a treadmill looking outside at the snow. After a run, Kaitie and I met with a blanket and our books to sit in Yeuido Park by the Han River for the day. I believe it was one of my first weeks here that I visited this park for a rock concert. At that time there was pretty much no one there, and the weather was getting a little bit chilly. As we walked to the park today we were met with a sea of tents (of course) and crowds of young children wading in the fountain area.


I loved getting some sun while catching up on some much-needed reading time. People watching is always interesting as well. Saw a family playing with their pet rabbit, several remote controlled cars for kids to sit in and parents to control, and a fountain show set to a variety of genres of music (Disney, Josh groban, Kpop, etc.). As for the tents...I didn't see anyone wearing a coat or anything to keep from getting any color, but everyone stayed in the shade as much as possible. More sunshine for us! After a yummy dinner of Pho in the IFC mall nearby we headed home for the night. 

This week, somehow I forgot and Kaitie had to remind me, we have Thursday off for Memorial Day and then Friday is a Kindergarten field trip to a Trick Eye Museum nearby Bucheon! Going to be a very easy week for us I think.

Today I'll end with a tribute to my twinsy, cause Alex got a shout out last week. In a few weeks, Beth will be making a journey to Palestine through the "Know Thy Heritage" Program. I am super jealous. She will not only be able to see Papa's homeland, but I'm sure she will also meet some amazing people throughout her time there. The program hopes to teach those with Palestinian roots about their history and promote peace. The program is open to those up to the age of 30, so I will definitely be making the trip out there at some point! As for you Beth, I am so proud of you for seizing this opportunity without a second thought. It will change your life and I can't wait to hear about it afterwards! 
xoxo

Korean of the post: 
여름에 뭐해요? (yeoreumay muohayo) What do you do in summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment