Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Neon Hiking Heaven

Starting off this post wishing my little sister a very happy birthday! Not only is she 22 (ah!) she is starting a new phase of her life. She has graduated from college and moving down south to pursue her music. It takes a strong person to not only make that decision, but also to move to a new area on her own to do something she loves! I'm beyond proud of her and can't wait to visit her down there someday when I am back in the States. You'll always be my cooking buddy in the secret place in the backyard. Love you, Alex! Couldn't ask for a better little sis! <3

Back in Korea, this week was the same old same old in Little America. No crazy field trips or game days. We did have a cooking class on Friday. The kids made mini kimbap with cucumber, radish, and imitation crab meat. For those of you who have made sushi, rolling it up isn't the easiest process until you get the hang of it. You all also have developed your fine motor skills by now (I hope). My girls and the other class of students are all about 6 or 7 Korean age, so 4-5 Western age! This means they haven't exactly mastered doing intricate things like rolling mini-kimbap for example...After watching them struggle for a bit, I offered to help some by getting the rolling process started so they could finish it on their own.

Realizing that "Geoffry Giraffe" is on my phone case


 

 
That day was absolutely gorgeous weather-wise. The sun was out and the sky was clear. Therefore, there was no way I was going to stay inside all day. On the roof of the building there are small gardens and areas that are perfectly sized for kids to run around in. Therefore, during game time, I grabbed a floor mat and took my girls up to play their board game on the roof instead of being stuck down in the classroom. Genius idea, no? What I didn't account for was the number of ants that were going to be crawling around the roof as well. Game time turned into ant-observing time, which then quickly escalated to "scream loudly every time an ant comes near the blanket" time. As much as I assured them the ants were not going to hurt them, the girls had the attention spans of goldfishes and couldn't stay concentrated on the game for longer than a turn. A bit of a failed attempt, but I suppose it still got them out in the fresh air for a while before heading home for the day.
Jenna on ant duty
That night was an early night for me as I had to get up early to hike Bukhansan (South Korea Mountain) the next morning with some friends; Holly, Mike, and Dan! I hadn't heard much about this mountain before being invited to join the trip besides knowing that Solomon Teacher hikes it almost every weekend. I decided to ask around to my students and coworkers. This may not have been the best idea as my students made it seem like I might never reach the top, nevertheless make it down again. As I mentally prepared to be stuck on this mountain forever I packed up a backpack with supplies and hit the road (subway) to meet the group about an hour away. It took a while to get from the subway station where the hiking group met to the base of the mountain. The subway that morning was a sea of neon hiking gear. While I sported my neon as well, I just couldn't compete with everyone else in highlighter colored clothing and a lot of clothing...most were wearing long pants and several layers on top as well as gloves, hats, and thick socks in their hiking boots. You'd think it was still winter time! I knew that I would be hot just standing still in those outfits, but these guys bound up the mountain like it's nothing. Props...

Before starting the trail we all met in a circle, stretched, and introduced ourselves. The group was actually a pretty even mix of Westerners to Korean, maybe even a bit more Koreans! The rest of the group kept stretching as Holly, Mike, Dan and I began to make our way to the base of the mountain. When we were walking away we heard someone calling to us to wait for the group. It turns out we were part of this social hiking group that focuses more on meeting people and talking as you hike up all together in a mass as opposed to going up on your own. We humored them and waited to walk up all together. We would get ahead and then be told to wait for the rest of the group to catch up. Then we would get ahead again and be asked to wait again for the slower members. These mandatory breaks would result in reaching the peak by October. We looked at each other and made the command decision to ditch the social hike-and-wait group to go up the mountain ourselves. No offense towards that hiking group! I think it is an excellent way to meet people and leisurely stroll up a mountain, but we were looking forward to making it to the top and not having to wait for people every few meters. As we broke away we experienced several forks in the path pointing to different gates or temples. Unsure of which way to go we just chose one and kept following it up the to the top. This mountain has several peaks that you can hike up to and then follow a wall that circumnavigates the area.

 
The visibility wasn't great this day unfortunately. It was super hazy, but it was warm and that's enough for me! The trail we took was definitely not as challenging is the one at Daedunsan. It wove us through the wooded area on the side of the mountain rather than taking us up practically vertical stone steps to reach the top. This made for a much more pleasant walk where we could chat and enjoy each others' company. The woods were so peaceful. Hearing birds again was amazing as opposed to car horns and agima's screaming at each other outside my window (aka Sunday morning) The trail followed alongside a small stream where people set up their picnic blankets and took a kimbap and makkoli break (Korean rice wine). The water was perfectly clear, making us want to jump in once we got warmer on the hike. We would later find out it was freezing cold, therefore thwarting any swimming ideas we may have entertained.




Newly built temple decorated for Buddha's birthday

Picnic in the woods
We made our way up the path, stopping a few times to ask passing Koreans where the "top" was (commence charade hands for top, or peak). They pointed us in the right direction and when we got to the gate the view was breathtaking. I probably used the same adjective for the Daedunsan view, but I don't care. There is no other way to describe it. If it had been clearer we could have seen for miles and miles. The green mountain peaks seem to go on forever. We could see teeny tiny people-dots on the surrounding mountains. We sat and soaked in the view, not wanting to leave. There really is nothing like the feeling of pushing yourself physically to make it to the top of the mountain and then seeing a view like this. Makes the whole trip worth it.

Last uphill push before the top!








The boys decided to do some extra climbing to make it up an adjacent rock peak
After resting there for some time we decided to make moves to another peak before going back down the mountain. As we headed along a new path, we quickly realized that our sneakers would not provide enough grip for the slippery gravel that covered the trail. I had a few slips and slides before we decided to turn back and take a different route along the stone wall instead. We followed the wall to the next gate then turned our direction south to go back down to the bottom. There is no way to see the entire mountain in one day. The entire area is a spiderweb of different trails to all of the peaks, gates, and temples. We've decided to come back again soon to try a different trail. I might have to invest in some proper hiking shoes if I am going to make hiking my new weekend activity here.


We stopped at the stream on the way back to stick our feet in the water. Actually, only Mike put his feet in...after seeing his reaction to the cold the rest of us decided to leave our socks and shoes on. Opting to cool off by putting our hands in the water instead. Besides the visibility, the day couldn't have been a better hiking day. It was warm but not overly so, and the scenery was incredible. I can't wait to go back again and try a different trail! Definitely need to let my muscles rest between these trips though. I woke up very sore the next day despite stretching.

When we got back to the town at the bottom we stopped in a restaurant to grab a bite to eat before going back home. It was my first experience with duck here in Korea! Just as with a galbi dinner, we cook the duck on the grill at the table. Dan is the experienced duck eater of the group so he told us to wrap the duck in a flat radish served as a side dish. We were not disappointed as the crisp flavor of the radish mixed with the sweet and smoky flavor of the duck was a delicious contrast. A satisfying ending to the day! After a slightly suicidal cab ride, and a long subway trek back I made it home in one peace. No rest for the weary however. I showered then got right back into the subway to meet the same group out in Hongdae for some drinks and shuffleboard at Thursday Party! Hongdae is so crowded now that it is nice out. People are everywhere, shops and food vendors line the streets, and music fades in and out as you walk each bar and club. The night took us from shuffleboard competitions, to a few pool games at Shamrock&Roll (an Irish bar nearby) and then to a Norebang. It was here that I realized my voice had gone. Not sure where it went but I couldn't sing anything! Incredibly upset, I requested songs that everyone knew and enjoyed singing while I accompanied on the light-up tambourine provided. Once the singers finished we took our taxi home as the sun began to come up. Time flies apparently!

How sweet of them to ask!

Slept a bit this morning (Sunday) but then rallied to meet with Kaitie and do some shopping in Myeongdong. We were hoping to visit the Forever21 that we have heard about there but it turns out its under construction for the month! Sad face. We settled for an H&M trip then hopped in a cab to Itaewon. Those of you who know me should have 3 guesses to where I went, and the first two don't count. That's right. I went to the bookstore. I need to get more books for my students! Jean's reading is getting so much better and the books I have are not advanced enough for her! I picked up a few new stories for her to read and browsed books for myself too. I could spend all day there I think. One day I will. Bring a bag lunch and everything.

Leaving 'What The Book', Kaitie and I went to Petra Palace down the street to have some felafel! I hadn't been to Petra Palace before, although I have been to Petra in the other direction. Petra is more of a fancy sit down restaurant, while Petra Palace is a quick, informal grab-a-bite and go place. The have hummus, felafel sandwiches, and shawarma as well. Kaitie and I both ordered a felafel salad which comes with some pita and tihini dipping sauce. SO GOOD! Some of the best felafel I've had here yet. And even though we were already stuffed, we obviously had to stop by the cookie shop next door to grab a just-out-of-the-oven, gooey, chocolatey, gift from heaven. It was a fun Sunday, although now I'm exhausted! Ready to get a good nights' sleep before this next week. Keep your eye out for a birthday song contest next weekend!




xoxoxo

Korean Phrase of the Post:
어제 북한산에 갔어요. (eo-jay Bukhansan-ae gasseoyo)
Yesterday I went to Bukhansan.

1 comment:

  1. Bukhansan looks so beautiful even with low visibility. I think you've inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete