Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Three Little Maids

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Look Who's in Idaho Room! Welcome to Idaho class! We sadly are leaving behind my 10 wonderfully crazy students in Texas and heading west into the Potato State room (I actually just looked up the slogan of the state of Idaho and found out that it's; Idaho- "Great Potatoes, Tasty Destinations", fun fact of the day). This year I will be teaching three girls, Jenna, Judy, and Jean. Talk about a tongue twister, but I'll get it down. I am so looking forward to having a smaller class and with all girls I obviously decorated my room with flowers and pretty girly things. God forbid any little boys join my class at some point through the year, and knowing Little America, there will be. When that happens I will change the decor a bit to make the boys not feel so overwhelmed with pink.

These girls are coming from another glass that was split in two to accommodate higher level students and "lower level" students. I put that in quotes because 1. I like doing the air finger quotes, and 2. because none of these students are low level English learners by any stretch of the imagination. The fact that they can have conversations and read at their age (7 Korean..so 5 Western age?) is incredible. This weekend I've been spending a lot of time thinking about how I want this class to go. I have found several adorable kids songs for different parts of the day aka morning, weather time, and saying goodbye that I hope to create into a sort of classroom routine every day. The girls like to sing apparently, so that's a huge plus! My classroom CD is mainly Disney songs of course, but I also have my other CD's from home with classic Broadway tunes such from plays such as Sound of Music and Oliver. I loved hearing my Texas class singing "Whistle" from The King and I. 

Speaking of songs, I have come up with my list of monthly songs! I am wondering whether to post them now or keep them a surprise for you so that you keep coming back to read my blog posts...hmm we'll see.

Here are my three little maids from school (hope some of you started singing that song in your head)!

Judy

Jenna

Jean


My schedule this year has changed a lot from what it was these first 6 months. I will have later mornings, which I don't mind of course, but it means I do not get a significant break between my Kindergarten students leaving and my elementary students arriving. Also, instead of five elementary classes, I will have seven this year which also means no real breaks from 2:50 until 6:35 or 7:15 each evening. Now this is not me complaining (don't look at me like that, I can see you). I am really looking forward to having new classes and getting to mean new students! It will just be a lot more planning in the mornings for a WHOLE day instead of having breaks throughout the day to plan and arrange things. This past week has been a bit stressful getting classes ready with new books, spelling words, and working out how the previous teacher administered homework assignments, etc. I was getting a bit overwhelmed, but then I realized that I learned it all for five classes last time, I can do it again!

Also, this past Thursday we said goodbye to three teachers who were leaving Little America. Shanna, a foreign teacher, had been here for 2 years and was heading home to Michigan before taking a big adventure to Russia to teach there! I have gotten really close to her over these first 6 months so it was sad to see her go. We were definitely travel buddies; going to different places around Seoul together. She taught me how to use the subway *sniff*. I hope to see her again some day. We have plans to meet in Italy in the future, so obviously this will not be the last time we will spend time together!

 Another teacher leaving was Tina. She was the one who met with me several times to work on my Korean! She is not going far (not Russia or anything), but just leaving to teach in a public school instead. We will still meet every couple weeks to catch up and continue practicing my Korean. I'll miss having her around school! She is so loving and just such a fun person to be around. I could always count on her to make me smile!

 The last teacher leaving was Alex. Again, she is not going far either (not yet at least) so we will still be able to meet up for several dinner dates we have planned. It is just going to be so different at school without all of these ladies. Sometime I have to get used to here I suppose, people leaving, new people coming. I'm good with change, I mean I moved to Korea didn't I? I just get very attached to people easily, so it is hard to see them go. Throughout the week I would tell them they couldn't leave. They weren't allowed. None of them listened to me though, I don't know why.

Speaking of the new teacher- shout out to Kaitie who read my posts before coming here (and is probably reading this one too!) I hope I prepared her for what Little America will be like for her. She is so sweet and I can tell she is excited to get started with her brand new little babies coming in this year! She will be teaching the students who have no prior English education under their teeny tiny belts. I can't wait to get to know her students and watch them as they grow.

It is hard to focus on work at the moment because MY PARENTS AND EDWARD ARE COMING IN TWO WEEKS! *cough* sorry...can't control my caps lock sometimes. I am SO excited to see them and show them around!! They will be here for a week and while I work most days they are here I will be going into Seoul to spend the weekend with them as well as show them a little around Bucheon on their last few days. I am coming up with some of my favorite places I want to take them as well as looking at some touristy things I haven't done yet either. It will just be so nice to hug them not through my laptop! I wish Beth and Alex could come too, but that just means they will have to come later...hintity hint hint...

Until then these next few weeks will just be getting into a routine with my students and the new teachers coming in. There are three new Korean teachers who came in this week as well. One has offered to give me Korean lessons as well! I'll be fluent in no time!

Also, I have recently applied to the California University of Pennsylvania's online masters program in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) Education which is all about using your hands and manipulatives when teaching. I haven't heard back from them, but I hope to start that program next fall! Does anyone have any thoughts about that school? I also got information from VTech's similar program...but the price was MUCH higher there as you can imagine. Any thoughts about it would be appreciated! 

p.s. sorry this blog was not as fun and adventurous as previous ones, however those kinds of posts will be arriving soon with the family as well as warmer weather!

Korean Phrase of the post:  
나는 신나해요 (na-neun sheen-na-hay-yo) I am excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xoxo 


No comments:

Post a Comment