Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Monday, February 9, 2015

Hi-Hiatus!

Hello! Still with me? I've taken quite a while to post up here recently. The job and grad school have kept me super busy- no that's not an excuse...okay it's my excuse, but I know it's not a good enough one. I've made a promise to keep you all up to date on my adventures! Sorry to leave you hanging. Delayed New Years' resolution to not wait 2 months to post (and we all know how New Years resolutions work out). I'll talk about it again on my next post (whenever that may be).

Quick catch up-- Not too much has changed here with regards to MIS. Still teaching little humans, although my classes have almost doubled almost since September, reaching to 15 now when we started with 8. Seems like standard procedure though as none of my coworkers are as startled by it as I am. I have been given the power to decide whether new students can/should join my class or not after they complete a 3-day trial with us. I feel like I'm torn between not wanting the class to get too crazy big and wanting to help out with any student wanting to learn! Teacher problems. Anyway, by May maybe I will have doubled once more (please please please cross your fingers against that. I don't have enough chairs).

As for grad school, I've started my last semester! I'm taking a course about Teacher Leadership, which is looking pretty interesting so far. The other course is about integrating STEM education in the classroom. At the end of this course I will be giving a presentation about my plans for implementing a STEM program into the school. Then I will officially have my Masters Degree of Education! Woohoo! It's been tougher to do these courses here in Germany than it was in Korea, but I've found that the busier I am, the more organized I am...? If that makes sense. My apartment doesn't get that organizational attention much, but my classroom and homework does!

Now to update you on our most recent adventures out here--

A few weeks ago, Bruce and the Ktown crew traveled out to Brussels, Belgium for a short weekend to celebrate Odie's last weekend in Germany and Bruce's birthday! Staying in a Motel nearby the city center, we were at the perfect location to explore town each day.

That first evening, Bruce and I grabbed some dinner downtown then met everyone at a famous beer house called Delirium Cafe. This bar is actually multiple places put together all selling hundreds of different varieties of beer. Can't say it was really a place for me (not a beer drinker), but the atmosphere was lively and fun! We met up with the rest of the group, then headed back to rest up before the next day. In the morning, Odie, Bruce and I walked (pretty far) to find a specific restaurant Bruce had found called Les Filles. This place seemed pretty fancy with a doorbell to enter and a giant staircase leading up to the restaurant area. They make all of their food in house with natural and organic ingredients. They also offer their homemade wine and cooking classes! (maybe next Brussels trip). The food was delicious! We stuffed ourselves with homemade yoghurt, bread, and salads before rolling out to meet the others.


 
 














That afternoon I had planned something different for the group to do in the city. Some people with us had been to Brussels multiple times, so they had seen most of the touristy spots. During my research I found a sight called My Secret Brussels. A man named Derek Blyth who leads Urban Walks around the town showing his favorite places, unknown areas, and graffiti art. Not sure what to expect, we met Derek in the main square and immediately hit it off with his Scottish humor (our group joked around a lot, wasn't sure if he would be offended!)



Derek led us through back streets that we might have never wandered down and told us stories about the history and other lesser-known aspects of Brussels. Once especially interesting part was the anarchist organization that liked to throw cream pies at important figures visiting the city. Their headquarters is located in a small building also serving as an underwear museum, showing underwear from famous people around the world.


The weather was a bit chilly for the walk but overall I am so glad we did it! We learned a lot of things about the city that we never would have seen! Little parks, unnamed statues, and musical instrument museums were just a few of these. Leaving us at a mussels and fries restaurant, we thanked Derek for all of his help and hoped to see him next time we come to visit! If any of you are planning a Brussels trip- I would absolutely recommend this tour!

After dinner we met up with a friend at Delirium Cafe once again, then strolled (for a quite a while) to one of my favorite places I've been to called Madame Mustache. First walking in, it was a bit quiet, but they were playing some great old songs and we danced until the wee hours of the morning- pausing only to sing happy birthday to Bruce and give him a cake, which we shared with other dancers there!

The next day we had some breakfast nearby the hotel, stocked up on Belgian beer (well Bruce did...) and hit the road back to Germany. A short trip, but was such fun! I love being able to do this weekend journeys into a whole new country. Brussels is definitely a place I would go back to, as well as checking out other Belgian towns!

My next big adventure will be going to England next week for vacation! I haven't been there for 12 YEARS! How crazy is that...Very much looking forward to seeing everyone, and especially the new baby in the Snowling house! Getting to London and meeting up with Amanda will be so incredibly wonderful too! If anyone is around, come meet up!

Until next time- (hopefully not another 2 months)
xoxo

German of the Post:
Travel the world
Bereisen Sie die Welt

No comments:

Post a Comment