Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Winter is Coming

Hey Everyone! Sorry, I dropped off the face of the planet a bit recently. It's not because I don't WANT to write, it is just finding the time and stories to entertain you through a post rather than just rambling about my adorable students. So far, November has been beautiful and insanely busy. As the month comes to a close so do my current grad school courses, leaving me with two more until I complete my masters! I'm definitely looking forward to not having homework to think about on top of school work. I've been learning a lot through these courses though and I hope to use what I've learned in my classroom!

This past week was a whirlwind of lots of teachers being sick or out of school, leaving Jolian (my amazingly wonderful coworker) and I to herd 2 classes worth of 3-5 year olds throughout the day of activities, singing, coloring, cleaning (lots of cleaning) and keeping them engaged in other things besides getting covered in paint or tracking playdoh footprints across the entire carpet.

Along with the colder weather, here in Germany, comes the Christmas markets! In every town across the country, little booths selling handmade crafts, belly-warming food, and Glühwein (hot mulled wine) to keep your hands toasty as you walk around enjoying the lights and decorations. Being in a country that absolutely adores Christmas is such a change from Korea, where Christmas was more of a day that they couldn't work. Here, crews start in early November to build up giant gingerbread houses or nutcrackers that tower over you as you walk through the maze of holiday spirit. Trying to teach my students about Thanksgiving was tough when all they wanted to talk about was Santa and snowmen. I had them excited about Turkey and Pumpkin pie by the time Thanksgiving had passed though.



This weekend, Bruce and I decided to check out a more famous spot for its Christmas market. Located right next to the River Neckar, Heidelberg is home to the huge Heidelberg castle and a town full of traditional architecture. Friday night, we went to my boss's house, also in Heidelberg. They live right on the river across from the castle. Showing us her view from her bedroom, my boss says she still can't believe she gets to wake up to that every morning. It was incredible to see the castle all lit up at night, and I was excited to check it out during the day as well! About a 15 to 20 minute train ride from Mannheim, we wandered around the various markets set up around the town enjoying our glühwein and the festive spirit. We climbed up to the castle, where another market is usually set up, only to find that it doesn't open until next weekend. Guess we will have to go back!

As the sun went down and temperatures dropped we made camp inside one of the booths specifically chosen for its use of heat lamps. Toasty and warm inside we chatted and watched them make their version of glühwein called Feuerzangenbowle where they pour rum over a giant cone of sugar sitting above the cauldron of wine. They then light the rum on fire, causing the sugar to melt and drip into the delicious warm drink. You'll have to come try it yourself! It almost lives up to mama Saad's version of mulled wine... (almost!)
 

 


That night for dinner we walked around trying to find a Korean restaurant (of all things), soon realizing that Google maps was sending us down random dark alleyways of Heidelberg. We ditched that idea and went for sushi instead. After dinner we wandered in and out various bars in the area before calling it a night and jumping on the train back to Mannheim. The town got so lively and busy that night, it seems like there are so many more places to explore! I can't wait to check them all out soon!

In a few weeks it's time for Christmas break! As much as I would love to travel home again to be with family, I am getting the opportunity to travel out near Bern, Switzerland to stay with some friends and celebrate the holiday together. This means I'm going to be trying out skiing for the first time since I was about 6. Wish me luck and warmth (mainly warmth) as my toes tend to desert me once the temperature drops below 60 degrees. I hope to have a ton of pictures for you from that trip as well as New Years, where Vienna, Austria is on our list!

Until next time,

German of the post:
"frohe Weihnachten! haben einige Glühwein!"
Merry Christmas! Have some Glühwein!

No comments:

Post a Comment