Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Inside of Your Ear is Green

Catch up time! T minus 40 days until I'm in the air to Germany! I'm currently experiencing about 10 different emotions all wrapped up in one. On one hand, I'm feeling incredibly excited to start this journey. A new country with a whole group of new friends, foods, running routes, and students to experience. Not only have I never been to Germany before, but also this will be the first time I've lived on my own in a European country. I have a feeling it will be different than Korea. Just a hunch. So along with the incredibly excited-oh-my-gosh-jumping-up-and-down feelings, I also have this nervousness that is hiding in the background. Not only do I have to pack up all of my things here in the next month but I'm also saying goodbye to my home for the last 2 years. I've met some amazing people who I'm not ready to say goodbye to yet. The longer you live here, the more people you say goodbye to, but I'm not ready to be the one people say goodbye to...if that makes sense. Leaving a place of comfort and familiarity is always hard. While I've found that I have some people in Germany who will help me get settled, I'm still feeling a bit anxious, ready to be settled, especially at my school! Anywhoo- for my last few weeks here I plan on making the most of my time with the people, places, and food. Definitely going to miss the food.

Now, for the activity update- Last weekend Alex, Liz, Vanessa and I headed to the COEX (reference the Chocolate Festival and Book Fair from previous blogs) for the Handmaid fair, where people set up booths to sell their handmade creations ranging from artwork, to bags, to soap, and everything in between. First we grabbed some lunch together at a place called "Cafe Mamas" right near the COEX. This place has warm, freshly baked, ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT bread. Yep. You heard me. Not sweet bread like the stuff you find whenever you look for a good baguette. Nope, this is the real deal. It was life-changing. We enjoyed our sandwiches, salad, and smoothies then made our way to the exhibit hall.




 

 

 Now commences a bunch of random pictures of crafts- sit back and relax. Pretend you walked through the massive throngs of people with us.




 

<3 Beth




 While going to these fairs are exhausting and truly tests your ability to navigate through large crowds, the talent and range of artistic ability was awe-inspiring. We each picked up a few knickknacks for ourselves and loved ones. From there we wandered off to Hongdae to grab dinner together and then went our separate ways for the evening. That night Vanessa and I met up with some gals from Rooted camp and we had a mini Korea Burn reunion in the park there, where we gave out "Thank you" jello shots to the crowds. I must say people are much more willing to try their first jello shot for free than when we were fundraising. Although I suppose that is to be expected.

Fast forward through the week of Open Houses, dances, and lesson planning to this weekend. Yesterday I met up with Ian and Brent to run in the Color Me Rad Seoul 5K! While I decided to have my stuff shipped to the school to avoid having to pick it up later, the boys were not so lucky. The organization of the race could have been better. Booths were not labeled clearly and lines of people wrapped around the stadium parking lot creating a lot of confusion and line-skipping (which is what we did at least. shhh don't tell). Once we were all numbered up and prepped with our neon glasses we wandered into the race area to check out what all the hullabaloo about these races is. Greeted by a stage with zumba instructors and a large crowd of white-clothing-wearing racers, I realized just how colorful we would get during the run. I also realized that some people (most) were definitely not going to be running (mainly the girls wearing denim shorts and cute sandals). As the over achievers we are, Ian, Brent, and I ran from each color station. Ian is a machine and sped ahead, leaving a trail of colored corn-starch in his wake. He did burpees and other plyometric exercises while we jogged up to meet him at a normal-human speed. Once you reach a color station you are met with several race volunteers with fistfuls of the colorful powder to aim directly in your face, preferably in your mouth if their aim is on target. Luckily I learned to close my mouth and eyes and aim my camera (safely in my waterproof case) right back at them!






the boys doing pushups







This race was not one for running but it was one for having fun and getting absolutely covered from head to toe (and everywhere else) in color. Using baby wipes, we tried to get as much color off as we could. The subway home was an interesting experience. My hands were died a dark green with pink blotches going up my arm. my face and neck had a slight blue tint, and my hair was streaked with orange, green, and blue flaky powder. I can only imagine what some people thought as they saw the open seats next to me and decided on their next move.

Getting home about an hour later I scrubbed off as much color (and probably some skin) as I could. Later on when I met some fellow Korea Burners I would be informed of some color remnants in my ears and scalp. We spent the night walking around Itaewon, the National Museum, and Hongdae, at one point spending time in my all time favorite Suzie Qs. And now I'm procrastinating organizing my apartment by writing this blog post! Thanks for the momentary distraction!

Next week, Beth arrives on Saturday!!! I can't control my excitement. I tell anyone and everyone I meet! We are going to take the country by storm and I can't wait! <3

Korean Phrase of the post:
"독일어 공부하는 시간"
(Dokileoleul kongbuhaneun sigan)
Time to study German!

No comments:

Post a Comment