Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Monday, November 25, 2013

So Full of Thanks

November is already winding down here. This last month has been a crazy whirlwind of testing and getting progress reports done for the parents as the term ends. Another change here is the winter cold returning. I definitely do not miss bundling up before going outside or sitting in the fetal position in front of my space heater...

No that's not what I'm doing now...

Don't you judge me.

The cold just makes me want to get back home for break even more. 32 days today! This week is especially tough as its Thanksgiving back in the states. I know the fam is planning a get together at our home in Delaware. While the whole family won't be able to make it, just the feeling of being with those you love on this holiday makes it warmer. I hope to Skype into dinner and pretend I'm eating chess pie with everyone as we wear our stretchy Thanksgiving pants.

Fortunately, I have made some amazing friends here who also miss Thanksgiving. Danielle has been kind enough to open up her home for a Thanksgiving dinner Thursday night to make it feel almost like home. A potluck style feast to enjoy good food and better company. Looking forward to this treat later on in the week!
A few things I'm thankful for right now.

1. My family xoxo an obvious first

2. My friends and coworkers here who have made my time in Korea incredibly wonderful and I'm so glad I've met each and every one of you.

3. My students...for keeping me on my toes every day

(Conversation with a boy, let's call him Barty)

         Me: Barty, how was the weather yesterday?
         Barty (obviously not paying attention): I ate cake!
         Me: I ... yes but ... *sigh*    was it good cake?

4. These super fuzzy pajama pants I'm wearing right now.
What can I say, I'm easy to please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not too much to catch you up on school wise- Last week we had graduation pictures taken by a professional photographer. I posted about this last year I believe and not much has changed. These poor children are put into ridiculous outfits and sat in an uncomfortable pose for way too long, keeping them from their lunch to finish on time. Needless to say, a few of them weren't the happiest children on Earth.

While placing my girls in an ancient, lacy, white dress,the teachers were trying to decide which hair accessory to go with the whole ensemble. Several big fluffy or sparkly pieces made their way into the picking, but I nixed those as soon as I could. What would match this lacy, white gown? Oh I know, a giant pink bow with sequins. NO! Just no. Vent over.

 

 
Teacher really...
 
Why...
 Friday was the monthly song contest and birthday celebrations. Kaitie's little turtle David was the only birthday celebrator that day. After several dances and birthday hugs, the kindergarteners were one month closer to Graduation in March. I've been thinking about which class I will get for my last 6 months here. I doubt I'll be given a new class of babies, but you never know!



I'll leave you all with my girls singing their November song, "The Homework Song" dedicated to my coteacher, Shine. Just melt with this adorableness. I realize as I've shown my friends here who aren't teachers, that they might be difficult to understand. It's cool how much better I've gotten at translating. If you can't understand a word start swapping letters for their usual counterparts- Example: swap "L" and "R", "F" and "P", and "Z" and "J", see where that gets you.



Until next time, Happy Thanksgiving, and I hope you all have something to be thankful for!

Korean phrase of the post:
방열판에 있는가?
(bangyeolpanae itneunga?)
"Is the heat on?"

No comments:

Post a Comment