Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Please Don't Point That Firework at Me

Another week gone by. Recently, while I should have been studying or writing a paper, I looked through some of my very first posts. I feel like I've done so much in such a short time! A year really is not a long stretch at all. It flew by, and now I get to start all again. So, in the spirit of doing things over again I will lead you through the past few days' adventures.

Thursday, Kindergarten had a field trip to the fire station...again...Actually, I probably don't even need to write this part of the blog. It was exactly the same as last year. Here you can reread the beginning of last year's blog. I'm going to make dinner quickly. Fire Station Last Year


Finished? Yea so that happened. Again. But swap out my Texas kids for my three little Idaho gals. The video was the same as last year, yet even less interactive. Last year at least they had the students yelling "fire!" a lot to practice, but no screaming was involved this time. The kids had to sit quietly and watch as a lady lectured through the endless powerpoint slides with a few cartoons regarding fire safety thrown in. Needless to say, the kids were underwhelmed. When we were finally released to go outside they bounded down the stairs to freedom.

and that's only half the crowd
Outside the students sat again to be talked at (yes talked at) about the fire engine and extinguisher. Fast forward, super exciting part of the trip where they spray the fire hose and get our bus all wet! And then back to taking endless pictures of the students doing cute fire station things. Can't you tell I'm super into this field trip? No, I'm just kidding. I do love getting the students out and experiencing other things in the world around them, however usually our field trips turn into photo shoots where the students and teachers speak only Korean. While this is fine because it makes me practice (aha), the students really should be using their English skills outside of class. I know not many places around have English field trip programs, but the other Korean teachers especially should promote English speaking on the trip as much as possible!

 

 

Coming to save you!

Ah well, my first repeat field trip is complete, here's to another year full of them!

Onto the next repeated adventure for me. A big group of us headed off to Muuido beach this weekend for a night of fun and hanging out in the sand. For those of you who forgot my first blog about it (Muuido Trip Last Year) Muuido is in Incheon, technically not too far away from us here in Bucheon but it is a bit of a crazy mess to get there. Firstly, Kaitie and I met Kelsey at the bus stop in Bucheon to catch the 302 bus (not that you needed to know that, but just in case some one is googling how to get to Muuido and I have this information for them...) to the Incheon International Airport. From there we met Andy, Tarah, Angela, Ryan, Jeong Min, Jinhee and a group of Ryan's friends. We piled into the bus (222 for those of you still trying to get to Muuido) to the dock where we would then take a ferry to the island. The ferry literally crosses a span of "ocean" that I could walk across. Granted I might get stuck in the mud, but it the time it takes to get over on the ferry I could probably do a solid few laps of that space. Oh well, we gave the ferry driver some work to do. On the other side of the ferry we jump in another bus (sorry...no number for this one...follow the old people in bright hiking gear) to the beach. Finally, we had made it!

Ryan and I planned on getting our butts up to hike on this trip. We threw our stuff into the room and made our way back to the entrance of the mountain before we changed our minds. The hike wasn't too difficult, but we sped up there like there was a candy store at the top or something. I don't know why we went up so quickly, but I think we all subconsciously wanted to finish the more difficult parts of the climb and just get to the best part of a hike, the view. Once we reached the top we were not disappointed (unless the candy store was what we wanted...).

Our friends were on the beach down there

We made it!


Ryan and I

Jeong Min ^^

 If any of you end up at Muuido, you owe it to yourself to make up to the top of this place! It is such a beautiful view of the entire side of the island. Some tips:
1. Don't wear flip flops.
2. You can hike in a bathing suit top (Andy tested it out for you with minimal pointing and laughing from Koreans)
3. J-Lo is excellent hiking music

Once we got back down and showered we joined the rest of the clan on the beach until the evening where we grabbed a samgyupsal dinner (aka Bacon...aka I ate sides and kimchi jjigae). We had rounds of toasts to anything and everything we could think of and enjoyed each other's company. After dinner it was time to hit the beach. By this time the night had gotten a bit chilly. Those of you who know me are aware that my tolerance for cold is well...about zero. Changing into every long layer I brought with me we walked down to the water. As usual, fireworks were set off, spirits were opened and passed around, and overall the mood turns light.

Angela (another cold person) and I made friends with a group who had put together a bonfire. What better way to make friends than share a good fire on the beach? We talked  realized we knew some of the same people! This country seems so small sometimes. While a few of us called it a night, others stayed out and partied the night away until the wee hours of the morning. The next day I got up to try and do a beach run, which is something I don't get to do very often. The beach there is not very long, but it's still nice to run next to the water in the fresh air where you don't need to dodge little old ladies taking up the entire path in the park *cough* sorry...don't know where that came from.

Slowly others from the group started creeping out from the pensions around me as I had my apple and peanut butter watching the Korean families all enjoying their extensive breakfasts under elaborate tents. A small group decided to head off earlier to get back and be productive, while others chose to stay and enjoy the nice beach weather a little longer before going back to real life. I took off with the first group back to Bucheon. After 3 buses and a ferry I walked back into my apartment safe and sound.
Snuck in a pup despite "No Pet signs"



Until next time Muuido


Back to work tomorrow. Katrina, Kaitie and I talked a bit about what is happening and changing at Little America. In May, Little America grew to hold its highest number of students in a very long time. The other teachers and I definitely noticed the larger class sizes and more level tests to give to new prospective students. Slowly this summer, however, the numbers have been dwindling down. Several students have quit for different hagwons or other academies. The number of new students is barely touching the number leaving. My group of 43 elementary students has shrunk to a teeny tiny 35. Okay, so looking at it there, it doesn't look too bad. Laura Teacher, you're overreacting. But think about how this is happening to the other teachers as well! We are a concerned about attendance as well as the inevitable graduation in March where 3 our of 5 of our kindergarten classes are graduating to 1st grade! That leaves us with two kindergarten classes of only 10 students (I think). Last year, Little America had trouble filling the one new class, let alone three. Will Solomon Teacher hire two new teachers to fill in Katrina and Kaities' places if/when they leave? Not that anything I do will change this, although I have contemplated buying stilts and an animal costume to lure people to the school. I can't help but take some of the students leaving as personal. Wouldn't any teacher? Cross your fingers for Little America for me! We need some help I think. No time to worry now though. Next weekend, Kaitie and I are off to Korea Burn (Burning Man) to run around and camp on the beach, then its time for Japan!! Can't wait! Until next time.

xoxox

Korean of the Post:  
나는 소방관이에요.
(naneun sobanggwan iayo)
I am a firefighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment