Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Thursday, February 21, 2013

This is a baby, these are fingers!

Woah, Laura, two posts in one week? Calm down there a second. Now usually I would wait and provide you with a lovely weekly update, but due to a visit from Ryan this weekend that will undoubtedly result in an incredibly long-winded blog post later on, I decided to do this little one now! Unruffle your feathers and prepare to be dazzled by amazing feats of the Musical English teacher at Little America! For the past year, the students at Little America have been working on a musical to perform this past week in front of their friends and teachers.

Now, I thought that I had my work cut out for me teaching my students a song and dance every month. As intricate as my choreography may seem, it is nothing to getting these students to memorize several songs, lines, and stage directions! I had been looking forward to watching these performances for weeks now!

We settled in our seats to watch the first performance by Indiana and Kentucky classes, who were putting on their rendition of The Jungle Book. The students wore headbands each with a picture of their character on it. The one lovable Jungle Book character who wasn't pictures was Baloo! Poor Baloo didn't make the cut for the Musical English version of Jungle Book. This minor disaster aside, the students sang and danced their way through the story so well! One student made and excellent Shere Khan!

The first song of the show was definitely cut out of the original movie. When Bagheera (for those of you who aren't old disney movie nerds...he is the leopard), finds Mowgli, apparently he and the rest of the jungle animals are supposed to sing a song about his fingers...the directors must have decided it was much to deep for children to understand.

The students obviously have a lot of fun putting on this play! They put such hard work into it and honestly, what better way to practice their English?

Bagheera and the Wolf Family
Jess is an excellent leopard-father-figure (never thought I'd use those words...)
Shere Khan vs. Mowgli
Burning Shere Khan with Fire
Texas and Alaska classes were up next, but obviously I am going to make you wait for those until the end because I'm just a terrible person. These next guys are distractingly cute so your frustration towards me will melt immediately.

Idaho and California, the youngest students at our school, would be performing The Three Little Pigs. Now these students have just started learning English this year. Naturally we would expect nothing less than theatrical genius right? Right...It was cute either way!

The group was split into pigs and wolves as they made their way through the variety of building materials and unnatural feats of lung capacity.
Some of the pigs

Scary wolves

Even scarier wolves!

Still can't get over the Korean's ability to squat like that comfortably...

Let us in! Let us in!
See! Cuteness conquers all! How else do videos of laughing babies and cats get over a million views on YouTube? The Harlem Shake videos...that I can't explain...but I digress. Time for Texas and Alaska to show us their performance of Snow White! Instead of pictures, I video taped the whole thing. Disclosure: This is a long video...as much as I know you may love children, or dwarfs singing while mining for diamonds, you do not need to watch it in its entirety! This is mainly for me to remember my students when I hear about them being heads of the new holographic phone company in 30 years. I can say, "Hey! You were an evil witch in Snow White when you were 8 years old!"

For your viewing (or not, whatever choice you made) pleasure...

I absolutely love my little ones and can't believe that they are graduating next week! We have been practicing for their graduation ceremony for the past few days. Of course they have to memorize speeches and songs and poems to perform in front of their families. I'm surprised juggling and rings of fire aren't involved as well. Or maybe that's what the teachers have to do....

beautiful Chloe

Dressed to the nines

Rock Scissor Paper Match

Missing you all back home a lot! I hope that each and every one of you will be able to come and visit me while I'm here so I can show you what it's like!

In honor of tomorrow being Friday:

Korean Phrase of the Post: 불금 (bool keuhm), the korean version of Thank God It's Friday (TGIF)!

xoxo



1 comment:

  1. The pic of Edward, Brian, and Jiwoo is soooo adorable! Someday you'll have to teach me how to load a video. I have a lot of still shots of the performance. Let me know if you'd like any.

    ReplyDelete