Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Dashing Through the Subway

Merry December everyone! I'll start by apologizing for not updating in a couple weeks! Hope you haven't given up on me. I will spend this post updating you on all the fun and exciting things to happen...leaving the best for last obviously.

I suppose I should start with something you all have probably seen already on Facebook, but I will talk about it anyways! We had our November birthday celebration and song contest a few weeks ago. My Texas class performed "From Me to You" by The Beatles. The video on Facebook is from a few days after the song contest because we had some students absent and the dance just wasn't the same without them! Actually that is putting it mildly. The dance was a bit of a mess with one student absent from his spot. My kids tried their best to be flexible and change the routine but we had practiced SO much that they knew the old way too well! After laughing and bumping into each other ending in an awkward-confused-this-isn't-where-I-should-be final pose, we shrugged it off and decided to film a retake later on.

 They do such a good job performing their songs. I am looking forward to our Christmas rendition of "Run Run Rudolph" which is basically going to be a cardio class for the kids. Their parents will thank me when they all just want to take a nap when they get home. You're welcome.

The weekend after this performance Shanna, Katrina, Seol and I made our way down to the Osan Airforce base to celebrate a friend's promotion to captain! When we entered the "Captain's Club" we were greeted by a sea of bright green jump suits...with flared pants and bedazzled collars. I looked at my friends for reassurance that we did not interrupt some Elvis Impersonators Conference, but nope, we were in the right place. Apparently these guys are the "Flying Elvises", which explained the attire. I had trouble taking them seriously all evening. Overall this was a long night of celebrating ending long into the next morning. The next day was spent watching Home Alone 1 and 2 while putting off the inevitable subway trek home.

This past week has been a regular week of teaching, I did get a new student in my oldest beginner class, which has been interesting! He has had some difficulty getting used to speaking English only. His classmates kindly remind him to not use Korean in the classroom. I can only imagine how difficult it is to not speak your native language when you barely understand the language you are supposed to be using! We will see how he does over the next few weeks. As for the rest of my classes, I am teaching two songs and dances for the Elementary Christmas party in a few weeks! One of my classes is doing "Jingle Bell Rock". The three girls are the previous winners so I have a lot of pressure from them to make their dance "cool" so that they can keep the crown for another year! My other class is a group of 6, 3 girls and 3 boys. They are a little older, and therefore are at the age that girls and boys DO NOT TOUCH EACH OTHER. God forbid I put anything in the dance that involves physical contact with someone of the opposite sex. The boys almost left the room when I suggested that they blow a kiss to the crowd. While trying to accommodate for their social awkwardness as well as maintaining some cohesion as a single group, I came up with a simple dance to "Let it Snow". Both of these videos will be up soon after they perform! We will see how we do.

Hearing Christmas music throughout the school all day has definitely gotten me in the Christmas mood. I surprised my co-teacher when I got to school early and wrapped our classroom door in wrapping paper and a bow. I have some lofty craft goals to decorate our room further over the next few weeks. They will most likely result in me making 10 of whatever craft I choose while the students sit confused and covered in glue and glitter. I did have them write down one thing they want for Christmas this year and I got some classic Texas class answers, "I would like to be a little mouse and stay a little mouse forever", "I would like to live with Laura Teacher", "I would like a robot computer"...I don't ask questions anymore. And no I do not have one of my students living with me at my apartment.

This past Friday was yet another field trip for our Kindergarteners. When you are given the task of planning a field trip for a large group of young kids in the middle of winter, what would come to mind? Maybe something warm...inside...with heating...OR you could do what we did and go to an indoor skiing and sledding hill! Perfect. Lets get the kids all bundled up like the kid from a Christmas Story and take them into a freezing cold warehouse with snow and thousands of other small children. Perfect. Ok, rant over, the kids had fun which is all that matters! I am willing to sacrifice a couple toes to see them enjoying the snow.
Texas Class

Kelly Bundled and ready

Jay's bundled

Riding the ramp up to the top

I think he liked it?

Oh Jay, sucha stud

The tubes we rode down in
















































We got back numb, tired, and hungry. The little ones got to go home, and we got ready for Elementary kids! Life of a teacher!

Now, to the highlight of the weekend! Last night, Shanna, Katrina, Seol and I got all dressed up (a relative term for Seol who had a beard and a red sweatshirt haha) and participated in Santacon 2012! The basic gist of this event is hundreds of people...all dressed up as Santa...traveling around Seoul together drinking and singing carols all the way. Firstly we had to get to the meeting spot for the hoard of Santas! I therefore dressed up in my Mrs. Clause suit complete with red booties to go over my boots shocked several people in the elevator and convenience store as I charged up my subway card.

As we made our way to Sinchon we spread Christmas cheer along to people staring at us. Everyone was smiling, and although I know it was more laughing AT us then anything, we took it as making everyone happy for the holidays! When we finally got to the bar with all the other Santas, this is what we saw!
packed bar of santa hats
After an hour or so the entire group headed to the subway to go one stop over to Hongdae. Imagine an entire subway platform overrun with Santas and Christmas carols! Well that is what the nice people in the subway train were welcomed with as we swarmed inside singing "Jingle Bells" at the top of our lungs.
She was enjoying it, the guy...not so much

packed with jolliness!
As we walked through the streets we greeted everyone we met with a "Merry Christmas" and a smile! The night was so much fun and it really got us all in the holiday spirit! We met several new Santa friends as well as some slightly frightened non-santa friends! I am so glad we could be a part of this event :) Merry Christmas everyone!


Only few more weeks now until Thailand! Until then we have a Secret Santa gift exchange this week, Christmas song contests, a staff Christmas party, another holiday get together hosted by Amanda next weekend, and a partridge in a pear tree!
I am going to try to keep warm, the temperatures have dropped and we had a lot of snow last week turning the sidewalks and streets into ice skating rinks! I've fallen a few times (the only thing bruised was my pride, I'm fine) and I have almost had to catch a couple people from slipping as well! As many innovative things Koreans have come up with, they have absolutely nothing for snow and ice removal. Maybe I'll try to make some money on the side and sell salt to stores and restaurants to sprinkle outside their doors? I'll let you know how that business venture works out.

Until next time xoxo
이 산타 봐! (i san-ta boa)- Look it's Santa!

1 comment:

  1. Your email with the pictures didnt come in to me on the email.
    The santas were funny in the subway. I can picture being on the subway in England that we went on 15 times just filling with santas and what grandma, mom, beth and alex would do.

    ReplyDelete