Travels in Europe

Travels in Europe

Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 1

So I was right. It is an underground Korean fight club, and I have the bruises to prove it!...

Just kidding (obviously)! Finished my first, and longest day of the week! I arrived really early, because I wanted to be sure I had all my materials ready and that I knew what I was doing (the latter still didn't really happen, but what can you do). My kindergarten class was so sweet! I began by teaching them the rules for my classroom. I taught them the "high five" or when I hold my hand in the air they have to have 2 eyes looking, 2 ears listening, and 1 mouth closed. Then I taught them the common song "1,2,3 eyes on me; 1,2 eyes on you". And lastly I taught them the marshmallow clap (if you don't know what it is then you aren't leading a full and fruitful life) as well as the firecracker cheer (ditto.). The students seemed to enjoy these new classroom management techniques, so hopefully they will continue behaving as they did today! We started a new book- and now I have homework to do for it...

We also had science today where we talked about perspective and optical illusions. I printed out some pictures of people holding the Eiffel Tower and the Leaning Tower of Pisa (not Pizza to my kids disappointment). After lunch...



I had my elementary students. They were so good at helping me learn their routines and knowing what to do for homework/classwork. They all listened well (for the most part) and I got through the lessons with no problem! I was worried before school today that I would have trouble going through the different books/lessons for each class but it was easy, especially with the students' help! We had a lot of fun and laughed throughout the class. They just need a release I think when they get to us in the afternoon after being in school all day. I try to let them joke around and have a few minutes at the end of class to play a game or talk amongst themselves- they are kids after all! They cannot be expected to sit in a chair and listen all day (heck, I can't be expected to do that either).

Anyways, tomorrow is a new day with some old and some new classes so we will see how they go! It is strange getting there at 9 and coming back at 7:30...I feel like I miss out on sunshine- maybe I'll go for a walk during one of my breaks tomorrow? Who knows...Bucheon is my oyster...haha

Oh! Before I go- I came up with my song list for the next few months! Each month I will be teaching them a song to perform in front of the rest of the school so here it goes:

September: If I Were a Rich Man (can't you picture them shimmying around?)
October: Grim, Grinning Ghosts (A random Disney song)
November: From Me to You- Beatles
December: Run Run Rudolph (I think it was in Jingle All the Way?)
January: This Will Be Our Year- OK Go
February: Crazy Little Thing Called Love- Queen

Don't worry- videos will be taken so you can see how well they do! I think I am going to play it for them tomorrow if I have time :)

Miss you all!
Korean word of the post: 화요일 (hwa-yo-il)- Tuesday



No comments:

Post a Comment